Premium Sites Available for Use at the Library
The 19th Century British Library Newspapers digital archive
This fully searchable database of the British Library's newspaper holdings provides a complete run of 48 national and regional Victorian British newspapers for the 19th century from 1800 to 1900. These support the study of colonial history, genealogical research, politics, urban studies, and media courses.
NewspaperArchive.com is the world's largest online newspaper archive. Featuring billions of articles from historical newspapers around the U.S. and the world, NewspaperARCHIVE makes exploring history and genealogy easy and fun. Discover fascinating news in archived newspapers hundreds of years old-including obituaries, birth announcements, sports articles, comics, and more-to fill in the life stories you are interested in. And share those stories with others through our community at Our NewspaperARCHIVE. All of our historical newspapers are full-page and fully searchable.
Alexander Street Press, American Civil War
- Research Data: Contains indexed, searchable information on over 4 million soldiers and thousands of battles, together with 15,000 photographs.
- Letters and Diaries: Contains approximately 100,000 indexed pages of diaries, letters, and memoirs, including 4,000 pages of previously unpublished manuscripts, such as the letters of Amos Wood and his wife and the diary of Maryland planter William Claytor.
- Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera: Provides a vivid history of the American Civil War with over 1,400 images.
Ancestry gives you access to thousands of collections of records from around the world, including immigration, census, voter, vital, and military records; newspapers and periodicals; family trees; photos and images; directories, maps, court, land, wills and financial records, stories, memories, and histories; and detailed records about births, marriages, deaths, land ownership, and much more. It is the largest for-profit genealogy company in the world.
ArkivDigital is the largest private provider of Swedish Church Records and other historical records online! All images are newly photographed color images of the original documents.
Find My Past
FindMyPast makes it easy to research your UK ancestry and create your family tree. Search census records and trace births, marriages, and deaths to bring your family history to life.
- 1911 British Census (accessed through the Find My Past website).
- 1911 UK Census is a record of everyone who lived in England and Wales in 1911. It provides a unique snapshot of the lives of those who lived at that time.
Fold3 (formerly Footnote.com)
Search or browse millions of historical documents and photos. Fold3 has refocused their efforts on gathering the best online collection of military records and stories. The Fold3 name reflects military history and honor, since traditionally, the third fold in a flag-folding ceremony honors and remembers veterans for their sacrifice in defending their country and promoting peace in the world.
English parish records, directories, census, civil registration, surname mapping, and selected army and navy lists.
Heritage Quest Online
- Heritage Quest Online database is a collection of material for both genealogical and historical researchers, with coverage dating back to the late 1700s. Searches include:
- Census: Find ancestors in the complete set of U.S. federal census images from 1790 to 1940, including name indexes for many years.
- Books: Find information on people and places described in over 24,000 family and local histories.
- PERSI Periodical Source Index: Find information about people and places from this index of over 2 million genealogy and local history articles, updated annually.
- Revolutionary War: Search selected records from the Revolutionary War Era Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files.
- Freedman’s Bank: Search for individuals in Freedman’s Bank (1865-1874), which was founded to serve African Americans. Includes a name index and images for bank depositors and their dependents and heirs.
- U.S. Serial Set: Search the Memorials, Petitions, and Private Relief Actions of the U.S. Congress in the LexisNexis® U.S. Serial Set.
Historic Map Works Library Edition
Historic Map Works is available only to those FHCs who meet certain qualifications. Historic Map Works Library Edition is one of the most extensive digital map collections available, with over 470,000 high-resolution, full color historic and antique maps. The core of the collection consists of cadastral (property and land ownership) maps illustrating the geographic and development history of the United States and also includes illustrations, city directories, and more. This unique content allows genealogists, historians, and academic researchers to track the "residential genealogy" of families and locations.
LegacyStories.Org is a social network for all things heritage. Provides a secure platform to upload stories and photos and add recorded narration. The resulting pictures, stories, and narration can be linked as source records on FamilySearch Family Tree. The site offers a full suite of exciting features including:
- Record oral photo narratives directly from your computer microphone
- Multi-media story publisher
- Social network for feedback and collaboration
- Public archives to view and share stories
- Five levels of privacy
- The Legacy Shop for heritage replayed books, DVDs equipment, software, etc.
A dynamic family history network, their recent acquisitions of World Vital Records and Geni.com have enabled them to offer billions of historical records and exciting tools for collaboration to a wider and more international audience than ever before.
Features comprehensive and exclusive British and Irish record collections dating back to the 13th century, as well as rare and unique photos and books to browse.
Provides access to 19th-century westward American migration documents.
World Vital Records
Access to birth, marriage, and death records; Social Security Death Index; family trees; census records; immigration records; court, land, and probate records; military records directory lists; newspapers, family histories, reference materials, biographies, wills, gravestone photos, ship manifests, map collections, and yearbook collections.
Local Resources Available for Use at the Library
New England Historical Genealogical Society (NEHGS)
One of the oldest and largest such societies in the nation.
ArkivDigital: Swedish Genealogy
Find your Swedish ancestors in ArkivDigital's image database. About 58 million color images covering various kinds of historical documents such as church records, court records and inventories of estates.
HistoryGeo.com is a family history software service for linking old maps and land records to your genealogy research.
Scottish Church Records
A terrific resource for researching your Scottish heritage.
List last updated 12/29/2015
|02||PAF/AQ User Group|
|08||Legacy Users Group|
|09||Guest Lecturer: "11 Layers of OnLine Searching"|
|Barbara Renick||Thursday||12:30 - 1:30pm|
|09||"Search and Find - Start with Census" - with Elna Katherman|